Prep Time : 25 min
This sweet potato topped vegan version is a delicious option for fall or winter to bring home that classic comfort food meal.
- 4 Onions
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Fresh thyme leaves
- 8 cloves Garlic
- 4 cups (1 L) Vegetable broth
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Corn starch
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Water
- 4 cups (1 L) Frozen corn, peas and carrot mix
- 8 lb (4 kg) Sweet potatoes
- ½ cup (125 mL) Vegan butter
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Salt & pepper
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) Fresh parsley
- 6 tbsp (90 mL) Canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 package MorningStar Farms* Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles
1. In a large skillet or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions, thyme and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened. Add MorningStar Farms* Chipotle Black Bean Crumbles and broth; bring to a simmer.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Drizzle into skillet and stir to coat. Let cook for 1 minute. Stir in vegetables and remove from heat. Scrape into two 13 x 9 inch (3 L) baking dishes or 1 large baking insert and spread evenly. Top evenly with sweet potato puree.
3. Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly around edges. Sweet Potato Topping: In a large pot, cover sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and return to pot. Mash with butter, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in parsley, if using; set aside.
Tips To make ahead, do not bake. Let cool to room temperature before baking. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Remove plastic and cover with foil, bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for about 45 minutes or until heated through.